Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Debbie

What do you say in front of the world about your best friend? How do I even begin? I knew you would be in my life forever that first night we talked. At 4:00 a.m. I wasn't even tired, I was exhilarated! You thought out things before you said them, and you had spent time on your opinions and observations. Where we disagreed, I learned. Where we agreed, I soared.

There are so many things about you that I admire, and so much I want to adopt in me. And so many of our weaknesses are so similar too (not all of them, I know, I know). I only wish I had your sense of style. I tried to decorate my apartment and found that it only looked good when I asked "what would Deb do here?" No. Seriously.

And you accept me - never pressure me to be someone I am not. You also never humor me or condiscend to imply that I am less for being me either.

It seems like you are a million miles away (how far is Oklahoma from California, anyway?), and that I haven't talked to you in forever. I get scared that we've lost our link, but then...

... we talk. Nothing changes. You just get me, you get ... it.

And you remind me that you have taught me that life is a teacher and the best people are intentionally students; that there is a carnival, a banquet set in front of us while we starve; that passion and knowledge and politics and philosophy and theology are all beauty even when wielded by a five-year-old; and that NO ONE CAN REPOSSESS WHAT IS IN MY HEAD.

And I hope that the journey that you have chosen to take this time will be your most amazing yet. This trip you'll take at home. And these memories won't just be memories (you know what I mean).

Love you, Deb.

3 comments:

Wendy Lou said...

It is so beautiful how you put pictures in words.... amazingly Debbie... teacher..challenger. and I am the same about decorating Conna!

I remember that first night that you two talked... as I fell asleep on the couch :) which you two never let me forget :)... you could tell there was a special link...bond between you two...it was hard for me at times... (because you two were uniquely MY treasured friends) if only I had realized then it only added to my life... never took anything away! You two were an odd pair of roommates... so different yet so similiar...

I remember the night we almost lost you two in that crash on the freeway... where miraculously your car spun out in the carpool lane on a very busy fast freeway that even the policemen said it was a miracle another car didn't hit you... it was such a miracle and we knew that we were blessed that night!

I love memories of sharing meals in your little house in Pasadena... in your apartment in Huntington Beach... :)

Love you guys...

(I have to comment on everything don't I)

Lu said...

Hello?? ::tap:: ::tap:: ::tap:: Are you in there????

Where'd you go???

Love you Conna! Miss you terribly...

Wendy Lou said...

Lu-- u make me laugh...

double that tap - tap -- tap!

:) Miss u Conna...