Monday, August 08, 2005

The cure for all things...


... could it be the music you listen to?

For the first time in a long time (years, literally), I noticed I felt peaceful and normal for a few hours this weekend. Nothing in particular in my life changed that day, and I was alone, and I have no prescription for any drug going. However, I was listening to Louie Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald the entire time.

I take for granted the music that lifts me up, and makes me serene. I move, I get busy, I get involved, and I put it away. I don't realize how much I actually need certain music - certain songs - certain artists.

It's no secret that I'm a music lover, but until now, I thought that was a preference not an actual necessity in life. I'm going home tonight to dig out my Gloria Estefan, Earth Wind and Fire, Miles Davis, and Count Bassie. I should be able to solve the world's problems by 9:00 a.m. tomorrow morning.

2 comments:

Lu said...

Amen.

I had the same experience this weekend. Instead of the usual tv blather that I leave on so I have SOME noise to block out the chaos in my head, I tuned the Comcast box to the Christian Music channel (the original reason I paid mega-$$$ for digital cable) for the whole weekend.

What an amazing thing, music is! Focusing not only my head, but my heart and soul and clearing out the clutter they've each collected. I had more energy, and more willingness to face the demons who live in the dark places which are my life. I did nothing earthshattering, nor did I accomplish much that anyone could understand or appreciate. But it made a complete difference in my whole countenance all weekend.

Why do I forget this so often?

Wendy Lou said...

I've been listening to this super mellow Chris Falson... simple... guitar old song done his way... it has been like a soothing stream... balm... to me!

W