Friday, October 10, 2008

The Basket War


There is ongoing drama at my house lately over possession of a certain cloth-lined, wicker basket. It came to me containing care package goodies when I was sick. I have since eaten most everything that came in it, and as I type this, I'm drinking the last of the pumpkin spice coffee (that detail was thrown in just to make you jealous). After it was emptied, I placed it on my bookshelf/window seat, and The Peanut promptly put a little pillow in it and put her beloved Teddy to sleep.

When it was time for Teddy to get up, Dongo, my fat kitty, took possession almost immediately. For days she sat in the basket on the pillow staring out the window and contemplating finally writing her memoirs. Squishy, my skinny, gay kitty, watched her from the other side of the bookshelf/window seat in quiet, passive/aggressive resentment and told himself over and over that he didn't care for wicker baskets. He finds them tacky.

About a week ago, I came home from work to find Squishy in the coveted wicker chaise and Dongo on the floor staring up at him. She was not blinking. The contest over possession of the basket has since escalated daily. I often find it overturned on the floor and both cats seething in separate parts of the house.

Tonight, I heard the familiar creaking of wicker sticks as they stretched to accommodate Dongo's girth. I then heard a low growl coming from Squishy, so I turned around partly to watch and partly because I don't want to die at my computer just because I had my back turned at the wrong time.

When Dongo stood to face Squishy's challenge for the basket, she raised her paw and slapped him on the head a total of 22 times. I swear to god I counted them. 22 slaps in rapid succession.

I have finally decided I need a video camera.

0 comments: